Friday, January 6, 2017

White But Not Racist

Why I am not racist. 

The Basic Reasons: 1&2

First off I'm not racist because I was not raised by racist people. My parents taught me to be kind to everyone. Just because someone has a different skin tone and ethnic background doesn't mean they don't deserve kindness.

Second, I grew up knowing and being friends with those of different skin colors and ethnic backgrounds. I believe that if you grow up knowing and being friends with people of a different skin color to yourself, you don't buy into the stereotypes that you are taught when you are older.

See, when humans are young. we notice a different color in skin tone. That is fact. What we don't know is the history behind that color (white, black, Asian, Latino, etc.). Children ask why someone has a different color because they are curious. Its new and possibly exciting and they want to find out why. Children are born wanting to learn and grow and explore. I know I was eager to roam and explore my house when I was young. People become racist because they are taught that way growing up. Their parents could have taught them to hate those of Japanese decent, or they had very bad, scaring, experiences with those of white European decent. Whatever the case may be, I believe that we grow up and learn to be racist, we are not born that way.

So because I went to church and school with those who were black, Asian, Latino, etc. I know that any of those stereotypes are false.

The Big Reason

Third, and possibly the biggest reason why I am not racist, if because I have no culture. Now before you start arguing, let me explain. Yes I was born in America. Yes I have lived by a small plot of farm for almost all my life. Yes I am white. Yes I was born and raised in the Mormon Church. But........ That's it. I am not a farmer. I am not a decedent of a white politician (or any other famous person). So what do I have?

1. I have my white privilege (which isn't much but it's there).
2. I have my religion (which is a huge part of my life and a culture but that isn't what I am talking about).
3. I have my curiosity (which is considered by society to be very rude and I will explain in a second)

So that is about it.

Why does this make me not racist?  

Curiosity...... 

Let's talk about my curiosity. Why does society think it is rude?

For one, I do not have a way with words.... well, when I have time to think about them and type them out in this blog then yes I can spew poetry. But when I am out in public, my foot is always in my mouth. And if it isn't then I am speaking literal gibberish. So when I ask questions, I don't mean them to be rude... but sometimes they come out that way.

Two, I love learning. Hate school, love learning. See I love watching educational YouTube videos or reading articles I think is awesome. I love knowing weird facts about things. If I want to know sometime, I love the thrill of searching for the answer. Force feeding me facts I may or may not want to know (or need to know: stupid pre-calc) is not present... and it is called school.

But I always want to know things I am curious about. But they tend to be like this in my head:

Me in my head when I meet someone new and different:
Wow..... You are someone who is different than me. That is so cool. I am curious as to what makes you You. Why does this aspect of your life make you happy? How has your up bringing shaped you are a person? I just want to learn everything about you because you are different than me and that is just so interesting! The world doesn't revolve around me, so I want to learn things about you that I have never experienced! It's new and exciting and I just want to know more.

Very intellectually stimulating right? So many questions. The reasons to why I ask those questions. All of that goes through my head (adding in the specifics to fit the situations) within a millisecond of meeting someone new and different in any way shape or form. All of that is socially acceptable.

Here is where the problem arise...... none of that makes it to my mouth after that millisecond. Its like the difference between a botanist and a child. The botanist thinks about all these amazing things about a daisy, all the facts and uses and why and hows.... That is my brain when I meet someone new (very intellectual and insightful) while the child goes "Ooo pretty!!!!!!!!" and picks the flower thus killing it..................... That is my mouth.

So while my mind is thinking all of those previously mentioned thoughts... what happens is basically this scene from Mean Girls:


I sound like some idiot who was curious about something they didn't know about, while the rest of the world tells me to shut up because I'm stupid. Yup...... that is what happens. 

Take for example Winnie Harlow. If you don't know who that is it is this beautiful lady here: 


She is a model from Canada who was on the TV show America's Next Top Model. To be honest I don't watch that show.... too much drama for me..... but I love Winnie. She is so confident and beautiful. She has what is called vitiligo. Basically is is when your skin becomes significantly lighter bit by bit causing that weird discoloration. My cousin has it and she is a naturally fair person... I mean very fair, so her's isn't as prominent and noticeable compared to Winnie who is naturally black.

So when I discovered Winnie's existence a while back, I started researching who she was, finding out more about her... the natural thing to do when you discover someone who is famous. But there is a question I would love to ask her because I'm curious as to her way of life.... while everyone is asking all the important intellectual questions, I want to know how she does her make up. Mostly I'm curious as to her foundation process. Does she use foundation at all? Does she only use foundation on her skin that hasn't been affected by the skin condition? Or does she use two different tones of foundation for both? 

Now, if I were to ask her that if I ever got the impossible chance, I would sound really really really rude. One because I wouldn't phrase the question correctly in the moment and two because of her past bullies and how she has overcome them, plus the mass cultural sensitivity of society. So while she may think that that is a perfectly reasonable question and answer it honestly and not think of me as rude.... every other person on the face of the earth would. 

Now that we have established my socially rude curiosity... back to the main point. 

No culture. 

The promotion of culture pride is huge today. Everyone is proud of their roots and cultural traditions. I have neither. I'm American.... I was born here, I was raised here, and it is very probable that I will die here. Same with the generations before me. My heritage goes back to America and the first settlement. I'm no second generation, third generation, or even 7 generation American.... I go back a long ways. And I'm white. So there is no famous cultural struggle for my people here in america and I'm not related to anyone important to my race's history. 

Now, while that is true.... there is also this horrible little thing that I am proud of. I am Irish. Now, why is that horrible. For starters, I love the Irish accent, I love the culture and everything about Ireland. But I don't have any Irish customs or even celebrate Saint Patrick's Day (I wear green like the rest of America but I have no idea as to why that date is important to the Irish and I don't celebrate it like they do). Now I'm not even distantly related to Irish immigrants. In fact I am only the 7th generation on my mother's side. Why the Irish heritage isn't important in my family is because my immigrant relative disowned his son.......... who went on to disown his son......... who went on to disown his son... who when on to have my grandfather, who had my mother, who had me. So in those ellipses of my Irish history, all the customs, traditions, celebrations, the culture basically, was all lost to disowning. Why pass on those traditions taught to you by a father who disowned you? 

So there you have it. I have no big important heritage tradition. Any traditions I have are fully the common American ones: kissing at midnight on New Years, celebrating Christmas (I'm am a christian), throwing your grad cap in the air when graduating high school, having your prom date first see you in your prom dress when you walk down the stairs, and taking the first day of school pictures while walking out the door with your new backpack. Nothing that relates to a foreign culture like Quinceaneras. 

So when someone who is like me and has no historical unique culture and is very curious to new things and why people are who they are, we can be mistaken for someone who is racist. Asking someone why they are white. Just know that we aren't asking to be rude, to shun your way of life, your culture or you. We just want to learn new things, but we may not have a way with words and often put out foot in out mouth because we don't think about the phrasing of our questions. 

Yes I realize I have a Mormon culture plus an American culture, but those are nothing compared to the Irish culture or Mexican culture or even the Japanese culture. 

Yes, I am white and I realize and acknowledge my white privilege.

Yes I often have my foot in my mouth.

No I am not racist.  

No comments:

Post a Comment