Thursday, December 1, 2016

Respect: Part 1

Respect

Part 1 November 30, 2016

Let's talk about respect.  

What does the internet have to say about it. Here is the definition:
1. a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements
  • the state of being admired or respected.
  • due regard for the feelings, wishes, rights, or traditions of others
  • a person's polite greetings
So here we see the few ways respect can be shown. I can be admiring someone who you think is successful, talented, trust worthy, etc. Or it can be just saying thank you to the person who holds the door open for you. Those are not huge problems society faces today. People can easily get over the fact that someone didn't hold the door open for them, or even when someone doesn't say thank you when you hold the door open for them. Those are personal issues that can easily be fixed or just plain ignored. No big deal. But, if you are on Facebook, Twitter, youtube, or you watch shows like The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, you know that there is a huge lack of respect "due regards for the feelings, wishes, rights or traditions of others." 

Before you go all SJW or BLM on me, it's not just about race, sex, or sexual orientation. Here is an example of one I say today that has nothing to do with any of those. 


This bumper sticker was on the back of a truck that was next to me at a stop light. What it is saying is that if someone is republican, or supports the republican party, then they were raised right. It doesn't blatantly state it, like other things I will talk about, but because its saying that republicans (and their supporters) were raised right, it is blatantly implying that if you are not (mainly democratic) that you were not raised right. 

What is the real issue here? Is it the implied hate of democrats? The pride of a republican? 

No. 

The problem is lack of respect. 

Now, I am a very understanding and empathetic person so I naturally give people the benefit of the doubt. I find this a joy and an issue in watching movies. While other movie goers notice the common fill styles and skills used to foreshadow events or reveals, I miss them. I want the the filmmakers and writers to give me a brand new story that blows my socks off. So while my brain picks up on the foreshadowed death of a character, I ignore it because I want either the character to live or for the filmmakers to give me a new twist, new story.  

So looking at this sticker, I can see how to a proud republican can see that and thinks its funny and take it as a good slapstick verbal joke. Whether that is the case or not, here is the issue. They didn't take into consideration the full meaning and effect the sticker has. Those are are proud democrats will take offense to that sticker believing it is aimed towards them. But it's not just aimed towards them. There are other political parties out their. There are people who even claim to not belong to any political party or want no part in politics. Their are even people from other countries who are part of their own political party or their government does have any parties at all. So this sticker says that those who are not republican (democrat or not) were not raised right. 

Here is the other issue. There are people who are or were part of the Republican party that most will argue were not raised right. President Richard Nixon is a president who is widely hates, distrusted, (insert what ever word you wish to use). Overall he is someone who we are not proud to have once had as president. 

But, what does that even mean. Raised right. What is right? 

That is all a matter of opinion. And in my opinion it is someone who, because of how they were raised, is an overall good human being (key word overall because everyone makes mistakes and has their own personality flaws). Now this could mean that they had a wonderful childhood and their parents taught them right from wrong, etc. or it could mean that they had an awful childhood and abusive parents and they learned to be strong willed and to treat other kindly because they understand how it feels not to be treated that way.      

Am I saying that that person doesn't have the right to show pride in their political party or speak their opinions. No. What I am merely doing is pointing out a flaw that others can fix in their own lives. You have the right to be proud of whoever you are and what you believe in. But you must show respect. How? 

Well, instead of saying that you were raised right because you are a republican (thus implying those who aren't were not raised right), try just simply stating that you are a republican. If you support our current President Elect, then have a sticker simply saying Trump. Those are not (and should not) be taken offensively. They are not putting themselves above others, they are not saying that the person you voted for is the devil and should be burned at the stake. They are simple statements of pride or support. 

People today get so upset by simple things that they can easily ignore. I could get mad at the person driving in front of me because they have a bumper sticker that says they support the opposing candidate that I am voting for. This only waste time. I could be thinking about more important things: what do I need to get from the store to make my family dinner, did I do all my homework, what am I going to do for my sales pitch for my boss that is due tomorrow. 

People can think whatever they want about anything. But, to adapt a quote my J.K Rowling "It is not our abilities (or opinions/thoughts) that show who we truly are. It is our choices." 

Now, I could not agree with my neighbor dressing her daughter up in pink clothes all the time because I do not believe in gender stereotyping. That is my right to believe in that and think that. But it is not my right to go insulting my neighbor, yelling at her to put her daughter in gender neutral clothes, call her a many number of offensive words. That is rude, inconsiderate, and disrespectful. I could either be a good neighbor because I don't agree with her but still respect her as a mother and a human being saying "so what that she believes that, I thinks it's wrong but I am not controlling my neighbor's life." Or I could be an awful neighbor my cussing at her, slamming the door in her face, vandalizing her property, etc just because we don't agree on something. 

I am not saying that we should all be the same by believe in the same religious values, cultural values, whatever. What I am saying is that we should all be decent human beings by showing respect to what other's believe. 

Treat people kindly. This applies to everyone, not just political stance, racism beliefs and sexual orientation, religion, what ever other huge issues that are going on today.  Just because they think that gay marriage is wrong/right or because their ancestor treated your ancestor poorly (or stole a pig... Hatfields and McCoys anyone?) doesn't mean they don't have feelings or any similarities at all to yourself. Just accept that they have a different opinion than you and move on, or you will forever stand holding a door waiting for that person to turn around and come say a simple thank you. Its a waste of energy and time and utterly futile.

*This is titled in parts because I believe that more issues will come up for me to talk about respect again. 

Please don't judge my message on my beliefs. Any I have stated to be an example such as the gender stereotypes is completely hypothetical. I am not saying whether that is my own belief or not, I am simply stating that my only belief/opinion that matters here is about respect, not my political, social, or religious stance.

Please do not be offended and miss my ultimate message. Thank you.       
   




No comments:

Post a Comment